‘Oil Pulling’ – Natural Healing Remedy

by You Be Healthy

oilaromotherapy

'Oil Pulling' is a Natural Healing Remedy

I stopped by my favorite health food store this morning for one of their incredible smoothies.  As always, I left with more than a smoothie! Over a half hour later, I departed with more incredible natural health knowledge!  One of the remedies I learned about today is “Oil Pulling”.  The owner of the store has been practicing Oil Pulling for years and found after just a few days of practice, his gingivitis (bleeding gums) disappeared, and over a few months his teeth were whiter and his hair started to go back to its regular color (from grey) – Wow!

I know that this health practice seems a little strange at the outset, but keep an open mind and also do your own research on this practice.  It is very interesting!

Oil pulling is a regimen developed by Dr. Karach. He wrote a research paper that documented a healing procedure involving cold pressed oils. Using this method, one could heal a lot of chronic illnesses, diseases, preventing the need for surgery or medication.

The main premise behind the method is that the oil pulls the toxins from your blood and into the mucous membrane, this is why it is never swallowed.

According to Dr. Karach, this treatment will achieve remarkable results with illnesses like migraine headaches, bronchitis, diseased teeth, arterio thrombosis, chronic blood disorders such as leukemia, arthritis and related illnesses, neuro physiological paralysis, eczema, gastro enteritis, peritonitis, heart disease, kidney disease, meningitis, and women’s hormonal disorders are completely eliminated from the organism. The benefit of Dr. Karach’s method is that the oil therapy heals the whole body. In terminal diseases such as cancer, aids and chronic infections this treatment method has been shown to achieve astonishing results.*

Oil Pulling Steps

(Steps taken from ‘Oilpulling.com’)

Step 1:

The first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and before drinking any liquids (including water), pour exactly one tablespoon of flax seed or sesame oil (or whatever oil you prefer) into your mouth. (Tip:  The Natural Health food store owner uses Coconut Oil as it has a great taste!  You will need to heat up Coconut Oil as it is solid at room temperature)

Step 2:

Swish the oil around in your mouth without swallowing it. Move it around in your mouth and through your teeth, as if it was mouthwash (don’t tilt your head back to gargle though). You’ll find that the oil will start to get watery as your saliva mixes with it. Keep swishing.If your jaw muscles get sore while swishing, you’re putting too much into it. Relax your jaw muscles and use your tongue to help move the liquid around the inside of your mouth. When you do this correctly, you’ll feel very comfortable. Pretty soon, it will become second nature.

Step 3:

As the end of the oil pulling session approaches, you may notice the oil/saliva mixture in your mouth has become thicker. This is quite normal, since it is pulling out toxins from your body. When 20 minutes is up, spit out the oil. Don’t be alarmed if it looks yellowish–this is also normal.

Step 4:

Rinse out your mouth a couple of times with warm water and spit.  Done! :)

I did my first oil pulling swish/spit today and will give you an update in a few weeks!

To your health,
You Be Healthy
You-Be-Healthy.com

References:

*http://hubpages.com/hub/Health_Benefits_of_Oil_Pulling_

{ 22 comments }

1 Sandra August 27, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Kim,
We love the practice of “oil-pulling.” at whollyness.
I personally believe that one of the reasons it works so well; is because the substance i.e. the oil is a lipid (fat) and therefore the toxins bind to the oil well. Thank you for tweeting this on twitter.

In health,
Sandra
MH, HHP.

2 Kim August 27, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Thank you so much for this information, Sandra!

Take care,

Kim

3 Carmen August 27, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Thank you very much, now I understand about oil pulling. I was told to do this by a doctor friend but never quite asked more about it from her. And now that I understand the logic of it, I will now add to my Bragg Apple Cider vinegar regiment this “oil pulling” practise.

Great info here.

4 Hanlie August 28, 2009 at 11:40 pm

I read about this for the first time a few weeks ago and thought, “Nah!”, but I’m actually keen to try this. I think I’ll use coconut oil too.

5 Chris F August 29, 2009 at 4:39 am

Kim:
Please remember to provide a short/long term update on this. Thanks!

6 Kim August 29, 2009 at 11:15 am

Hi Chris, I will keep you posted! One of my facebook page ‘fans’ tried it for the first time today and had the ‘sinus drip’ (toxins releasing). Interesting!

7 Jancey August 31, 2009 at 12:17 pm

I can’t wait to try this! But how often should you do it? Daily? Weekly?

8 Kim September 1, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Hi Jancey,
They say you should do it every morning. That’s what I have been doing. I have since been back to the health food store and talked to the owners and they say it is fine to do the oil pulling for 10 minutes (as opposed to 20 min). I am loving my new morning ritual! :o )
Take care, Kim

9 AcidEagle September 1, 2009 at 10:09 pm

I wouldn’t heat up the coconut oil, I think you are supposed to be using cold-pressed oils, heating changes the molecular structure. I could be wrong, but why heat it when solid coconut oil will melt in your mouth anyways?

10 Kim September 2, 2009 at 10:49 am

That is a very good point! I will ask this question the next time I go to my health food store. Until then, I will just melt naturally :o ) Thanks again, Kim

11 Chris F September 12, 2009 at 5:53 am

Kim:
It has been around 2 weeks. Any short term results you wish to share?

12 Kim September 13, 2009 at 8:36 am

Hi Chris, Yes it has been 2 weeks and I really enjoy my new morning ritual. The 2 things that I’ve noticed so far are really healthy gums and my skin is perfect. Readers on the You Be Healthy Facebook page are have great health benefits as well!

13 Eileen October 20, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Kim, I just got around to getting Sesame Oil and am wondering what results you’ve had after 6 weeks. Eileen

14 Kim October 20, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Hi Eileen, that is great! I’ve noticed my teeth are whiter, my gums are really healthy, and my skin is very clear…I’m sure there are many other benefits going on that I’m not even aware of! Kim

15 Danika Carter November 20, 2009 at 11:45 pm

Sounds interesting. Not sure how that would work with a 3yo expecting me to talk to her. Don’t think I could do it without her throwing a fit.

16 Tiffany February 12, 2010 at 3:53 pm

At what point do you brush your teeth; how long after do you have to wait?

17 Kim February 12, 2010 at 4:25 pm

You just need to rinse your mouth a few times after the oil pulling session. I rinse with warm water mixed with sea salt about 4 times.

18 Ashley February 23, 2010 at 7:49 am

When I read this article I was so on board. I did my first Oil Pulling session this morning. I was reading a lot about Oil Pulling and it’s benefits – SO I’m excited to see the results I achieve. I’m using organic sesame oil and spitting the remains in the toilet, as it was mentioned that the toxic gunk is better put in the toilet. I do have a few questions:
(1) It said that you could do the Oil Pulling session up to 3 times a day. How many times a day would you recommend?
(2) It mentions to do the session on an ‘empty stomach’. I eat many small meals throughout the day and on some days I workout in the morning. What is considered an empty stomach? How many hours or minutes is okay? Could I have an apple and they wait 30 minutes to do a session, since it’s not a heavy carb meal?
(3) Can I drink water right after the session? I do drink a lot of H20 and I downed a bottle after my first. Is that okay?

19 Kim February 23, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Hi Ashley, Thanks for your post! I do oil pulling first thing in the morning before I have eaten anything. If you can do it 3 times, I am sure that would be beneficial. Most people would find it hard to fit 3 sessions in per day. I also don’t think oil pulling after eating an apple is an issue at all. I drink water after my session as well. I hope this helps!
Kim

20 Kristin Fraser Cotte March 29, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Great overview! My production assistant has been singing oil pulling’s praises for a while now and I’ve meant to read up on it. Thanks for your informative breakdown, I’m going to give it a try. I’m wondering though if you have to do it for 20 min to see results? That seems like a really long time.
Kristin

21 Kim March 29, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Hi Kristin, I’m glad you enjoyed the post! Sometimes I do 10 minutes in the morning while prepping my morning smoothie etc and then I do another 10 minutes in the evening. Other times I do 20 minutes while working first thing in the morning at my computer.

22 Annie Koh March 29, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Hello Kim

Many thanks for the great info. Looking forward to trying this “Oil Pulling” tomorrow morning!

{ 2 trackbacks }